Introduction to Organic Chemistry

Organic Chemistry: The Journey Begins with Victor!

Hey there! Victor here, I’m back into the world of blogging and teaching Organic Chemistry after a short hiatus. As the new semester rolls in, I’m rebooting with an array of tutorials primarily focused on – you guessed it – Organic Chemistry!

Now, I won’t sugarcoat it. Organic chemistry isn’t a cakewalk. It demands hard work and sheer determination. But fret not; I’m here to guide you, ensuring you not only learn but also retain, understand, and, more importantly, apply the knowledge. Whether you’re dreaming of med school or envisioning a different path, the foundation remains the same.

I’m excited to introduce a new format – semi-interactive lectures. This setup allows me to mold the content based on your feedback and questions. So don’t be shy; drop those questions and suggestions in the comments below.

Memorization vs. Problem Solving in Organic Chemistry

“Is Organic Chemistry all about mugging up?” is a question I’ve often been asked. Here’s my take: Memorization? Sure, it’s crucial. Some specifics, like pKa values in acid-base chemistry or signal positions in NMR/IR spectroscopy, need to be remembered. But the real crux? Problem-solving. An astounding 80% of organic chemistry revolves around it.

Imagine learning to drive or mastering a musical instrument; practice is key. Similarly, for organic chemistry, merely watching tutorials or reading won’t suffice. You need to tackle problems head-on, over and over.

Strategizing Study Time: The 80-20 Rule

When charting out your study plan, remember the 80-20 rule. Dedicate 80% of your time to problem-solving and the remaining 20% to reading, attending lectures, and watching tutorial videos (like mine!). Picture it this way: if you spend about 5 hours weekly on classes and reading, allocate an additional 20 hours solely for working on problems. Think of Organic Chemistry as your part-time job. And remember, consistent studying prevents overwhelming backlogs.

Laying a Solid Groundwork

Organic Chemistry builds on prior knowledge. Reviewing these critical topics from general chemistry will give you a leg-up:

  • Atomic Structure: Brush up on the s, p, d, and f atomic orbitals. We’ll delve deep into molecular orbitals as well.
  • VSEPR Theory: A strong grasp of this helps visualize molecules in 3D. Investing in a molecular model kit can be a game-changer.
  • Acid-Base Chemistry: While you might recall the daunting calculations, here, we’ll focus on a conceptual understanding. But yes, a bit of calculation using pKa values is essential.
  • Energetics & Thermodynamics: Understand the core concepts of delta H, delta S, and delta G values, and familiarize yourself with energy diagrams.

In essence, be prepared to review these topics in a span of a week or two, in contrast to the prolonged durations in general chemistry.

Ready, Set, Dive In!

To stay ahead of the curve, become a member if you haven’t already.

In the meantime, I’m eager to know: which general chemistry topic did you enjoy the most? And what are you most looking forward to in organic chemistry? Sound off in the comments below, and I’ll catch you in the next lesson. Until then, happy studying!

1 Comment
Collapse Comments

i am interested in organic synthesis

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *